Friday, April 10, 2009

My Dinner on the Eve of April Fool's Day




It has been over twenty-four hours since I left my home in Singapore. After a series of flights from Singapore to Tokyo, Tokyo to Los Angeles, and Los Angeles to Denver, plus the mandatory airport processes, waits, and boarding, I was raring for a shower. I was passenger number six to get off in a seven-passenger airport shuttle van. The bellhop greeted me at the door of Warwick Hotel saying “It looks you like you had a long trip.” I answered, “Yes, and I’m desperate for a shower.” His face dropped only to reveal that the hotel had no water. It is a first in my travels. It turned out there was something wrong with the pipes, and the city of Denver decided to turn off the water in this block.

They had made arrangements to move me to another hotel in the city called The Magnolia. I boarded the hotel’s van and checked-in. To my delight, it was a lovely, modern 13-story hotel housed in the historic American National Bank Building in downtown Denver. By the time I had checked in, it was past 10pm. I had not eaten dinner, but was not compelled to brave the cold freezing conditions outside to find a hot meal. When I checked in, I learned of the hotel’s happy hour at 5:30 to 6:30pm where guests are treated to a free glass of wine and the cookie and milk time from 8pm to 10pm. I quickly dropped my suitcases in my room, then rushed down to the lower basement to see the cookies laid out in the bar, with coffee, tea, milk and chocolate milk all for the taking. I settled on a Peanut Butter chip cookie, an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie, a Snickerdoodle cookie, and a cup of cold chocolate milk.

I returned to my room, drew myself a warm bath. I then had my most soothing bath, while indulging in the most decadent meal for one, three cookies and chocolate milk. It’s not the healthiest meal, but truly nourishing for a weary soul.

The next day, I attended conference for culinary professionals. During one of our icebreaker activities, I paired up with an established cookbook author. We had to ask each other to describe what we had for dinner. She said, “She had five course meal with several shots of Tequila.” She burst into appreciative laughter of my most unusual meal on the eve of April Fool’s Day.

Maida.4.09.09.NJ,USA,12:22pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... drop me a line here. Cheers!