Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rainy day breakfast



The rain is bucketing outside as I write this blog. It reminded me of the scene  when a typhoon hit Manila when I was a little girl.  My siblings and I gather around the dining table in our pajamas. The radio is on the blaring the agitated news from an AM radio station.  We anxiously wait for classes to be called off. And when it is, we celebrate with Champorado for breakfast. Mom makes a thick chocolate porridge made of glutinous rice, milk, cocoa and sugar. Its sweetness is offset by a side dish of tuyo, dried salted fish.






As it has been raining in Singapore since I got back last week, I found comfort in my own version of  quick Champorado. I turned my usual oatmeal into a semblance of Champorado. It soothed the melancholy of the rainy morning.  Here's my recipe: 


My quick breakfast for One hungry "Champ":
1/3 cup oatmeal (use slow cooking kind)
2/3 cup water
1tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp brown sugar
2 T milk


Combine oatmeal and water in a microwavable bowl.
Microwave on high for 3 mins. Add cocoa, milk, and sugar.

Serve hot.


Then, celebrate your fun day off indoors! 


CopyrightMaidaPineda2010.July3,201010:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading... drop me a line here. Cheers!